Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Snack time has had a makeover...



This week Otters have been trialling a new self- service snack time.

Instead of sitting in a large circle all eating snack together in the classroom we have decided to allow the children to choose to eat their snack independently throughout our morning CIP session. So far it has been a big success. Each day has had a specific talk focus. There have been talk prompts placed on the tables to encourage discussion, negotiation and laughter. The funny photos of animals have been a source of many giggles this week. The hidden objects placed in the talking boxes have prompted lots of imaginative discussion. Grandpa’s false teeth made a surprising appearance on Monday (more to follow on this particular talk prompt!)







This morning I asked the children what they thought of our new snack time routine. I think you will agree that in their eyes it is a huge improvement.

Xander – ‘’We can chat and chatter.’’
Erin – ‘’We can look at the lovely pictures and laugh with our friends. We can look out of the window and see what the other children are doing.’’
Kenola – ‘’I like sitting with my friends.’’
William D – ‘’I like it because I can choose my own plate and pour my water.’’
Edward – ‘’I really think it is lovely, I like the chairs.’’
Ethan – ‘’I love talking about the funny pictures and looking in the talking box.’’
Zoe – ‘’I like that we can clean up by ourselves.’’
Malindi- ‘’It’s not too noisy, I can sit quietly with Jessica and look at the photographs.’’
Katie – ‘’I like it because we can eat straight away and not wait for everyone in the circle to get their fruit.’’

No comments:

Post a Comment