Monday, May 5, 2014

It's a pirate's life for me...


When I travelled back to the UK for Easter I went to a scrap store. It was a huge building full to the brim with barrels full of ‘scrap’ donated from businesses around the city. I so wished that I had travelled with an empty suitcase…the scrap was like treasure to me. I managed to restrain myself and only came back with one big carrier bag full of Velcro scraps. They have been sitting in the tuff spot in Otters class all week. At first the children were happy exploring the material itself and listening to the sounds. Some children were surprised that it was exactly the same material that they had on their shoes. Then children began linking them together to create animals and objects. Ethan made Batman.

Soon enough the children realised that they could create loops and soon fashioned interesting headbands and bracelets (or super hero bands!). Any visiting adult was soon adorned with Velcro jewellery.

Today William aka Super Boy/Peter Pan declared that he was in fact Captain Hook. He had added to the simple headband design he had earlier invented and was now sporting a Velcro eye patch. This was soon followed by a Velcro hook. Marwin spent a considerable amount of time working out how to attach a beard. I explained about sideburns and the answer to his problem suddenly seemed clear.

Who would’ve thought that a bag full of scrap Velcro could have prompted such interesting communication, language and problem solving? I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings….

1 comment:

  1. hhahahaaa..i really enjoyed this...tq

    ReplyDelete